iLinux OS Talk

Delete

(Leave this as-is, it’s a trap!)

To delete this thread, and all replies to it, you must be either the original author or a designated moderator.

Too loud ... No installation ... Not compatible with USB 3.0

Khaliessie

Hi there,

As a computer user and a professional technician who's dealt with literally hundreds of computer clients during the past 31 years, I'm always receptive to another, perhaps more improved Linux distribution that's easy to use for the masses. But who exactly are those masses? In all of my experience I've dealt 99% of the time with 3 groups of people.

1. General user who require no more than 5 or 6 good regular apps.
2. Power users & Technicians who care about speed and customizing.
3. Experienced Windows users who are looking to make a switch.

None of these three groups would be thrilled by a desktop that looks as though it came from an amusement park. Also, almost nobody (IMO) would be receptive to an Operating System than can be installed strictly on a usb stick. Many if not most people, myself included, feel more comfortable having an OS that's installed on their machine. It's very very easy to lose a usb stick, misplace a usb stick, have someone "accidentally" take your usb stick when it's not being used, and so on. That's for the 1% who require something that's completely out of the ordinary and special ... but not for the masses ... whom you should be appealing to if you plan on making money for any kind of commercial support.

I'm not trying to undermine what you're doing. I love the idea of competition between Linux distributions and the wonderful things that they all can achieve. But my first impression from the video was ... Oh, what a nice colorful toy. This would probably be perfect for children.
So much color, so much movement, such large icons, it was just too much.
Exactly because of the potential for children, I downloaded and created a USB image from iLinux.

Using a Dell E6500 with 2,26 dual core processor, 2 GB RAM, and 128 GB SSD drive ...

The iLinux GRUB menu booted up ....
I made no selections and just let it run.
The startup began, there was some colorful stuff going on ...
Then the screen went black for a little while ....
Then there was a blinking white cursor at the top left of the screen ...
Then there was ... nothing ... no matter how long I waited, nothing else ever happened.

At first I thought perhaps the image was defective, but there was really no reason to think that since GRUB and the next startup step appeared error free without a crash or a freeze. Then I thought that perhaps the USB port wasn't able to maintain a steady connection (older laptop). But when I attempted to use my own MX Linux image on a USB 3.0 stick with the same port, there were zero problems.
Then I thought perhaps the iLinux 4.19 kernel was too new ...
... until I checked and saw that my MX Linux image also had Kernel 4.19

So I don't know what's going on, but I'm certain that there are some hardware kinks that still need to be corrected. USB 3.0 has been around for over 10 years and it's supposed to be 100% backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ... which means that the iLinux image should also work correctly, regardless if the image is on a USB 3.0 or a USB 2.0 stick, and regardless if the port is a USB 3.0 or a USB 2.0 port. There seems to be some kind of compatibility issue there ... at least that's how it was for me.

I salute you for your efforts. Sometime in the next 3 months or so I'll be back and I'll try another updated image, to see if this has potential for my plans to help people move from Windows to Linux, more especially children who are receiving their very first computer.
Greetings from Germany.

Moderators: iLinux Creator, iLinux Support Team

1. Home
  2. » iLinux OS 2 "GALAXIA" - Opinions

FORMAT TEXT :: HELP :: TERMS OF USE

iLinux OS :: Innovations :: Apps :: Screenshots :: Download :: Install :: Updates :: Support :: Business :: Donate :: License :: YouTube